Sunday, August 15, 2010

My cooking essentials

So...when you meal plan, you need to make sure you have all the necessary tools and ingredients at your disposal.  This list will grow as I remember everything I end up using every week, but this is a good place to start. 


A basic pot and pan set that includes: 

1 small sauce pan
1 large sauce pan
1 medium frying pan (omelette pan)
1 large saute pan.

These should do the trick to get you started.

Cooking Untensils/Tools


A really good knife set-it will make all the difference in the world.  My favorite knife?

A Santoku knife!

I LOVE this thing.  We actually have two because we got one free somehow and I'm so glad I have two.  I use this thing like there is no tomorrow.  It is AMAZING when it comes to slicing and dicing produce.  I have both a Henckels and a Calphalon Santoku knife.  Our knife set is Henckels, but shhh....I like the Calphalon one a little better.

Also make sure to have the folllowing:

1 slotted spoon
1 solid spoon
1 pasta spoon
1 spatula
1 ladle
1 whisk
1 pair of tongs
1 cheese shredder
1 garlic mincer (love these!)
2-3 cutting boards
1 colander

A list of basic ingredients that are good to have on hand every week:


Salt
Pepper
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Sweet Red Peppers
Garlic Cloves
Onion (red onion is our favorite)
Tomato
Cheddar Cheese
Parmesan Cheese
Olive Oil
Eggs
Milk
Sugar
Flour
Pasta (any kind)
Rice (white or brown)
Tomato Sauce
Butter (Smart Balance for health!)

Also make sure your spice rack has basil and parsley.  I found I use these the most.  I try to get them fresh when I have a specific meal I planning for, but they are good to have on hand if they are not a main ingredient.

Go check your pantry/fridge and make sure you know what to get on the next grocery trip!

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited that you have this set up! I am looking forward to learning from you (aka stealing your weekly plans). (This is MABride808)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey-why reinvent the wheel, right? Steal away!

    ReplyDelete