Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Our Favorites!

Weekly meal plans will begin Sunday, August 29th.  In the mean time, I thought I'd introduce you to some of our favorite meals!

Now, I can't take complete credit for coming up with these on my own.  Most recipes I *steal* from recipe finder websites, such as RecipeZaar, Recipes4Living, and MyRecipes.  A couple I found on other blogs.  I tend to adjust each recipe slightly to our liking, and I suggest you do the same if you feel like it.  Still, I will do my best to link to the original recipe or blog as to credit the original recipe maker!

So, here is...

Favorite Meal #1: Broccoli-Sausage Pasta


Let's start with the end in mind...












Mmmmmmmm!

Ingredients:
     1/4 C of Olive Oil
     3 cloves garlic, minced
     1 small red onion, sliced thin (use your Santoku knife!)
     1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
     1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes  (more or less depends on how spicy you want it!)
     1lb package of smoke sausage (beef or turkey), sliced and quartered
     8 oz of short cut pasta, such as penne or rigatoni
     Shredded or grated parmesan cheese

Heat olive oil in a large skillet with high sides on medium heat.  Add onion and garlic and cook until soft, 2-3 minutes.  Meanwhile, fill pot with water and start heating it up for the pasta.  Slice and quarter the sausage.  Add sausage to skillet and cook an additional 3-4 minutes.  Meanwhile, cut broccoli into florets.  Put pasta in water to cook.  Add the broccoli and red pepper flakes to the skillet and toss.  Continue cooking 8-10 minutes until pasta is ready.  Drain pasta, but reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water.  Add cooked pasta and reserved water to skillet.  Heat 2-3 more minutes.  Serve topped with parmesan cheese.

Hope you like it!    This recipe originated from a blog called Peace, Love and French Fries.  You will see this meal in my plans about once (maybe twice) a month because we love it so much.


Be on the look out for the next recipe coming at you this weekend!  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment